Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Meet your favorite new holiday side dish! We’ve elevated the classic green bean casserole by starting with fresh green beans, shallots, and mushrooms, and we’ve also lightened it. Instead of using a condensed soup, the casserole gets its creaminess from a simple white sauce, and a mix of almonds and Parmesan cheese provide a crunchy, flavorful topping.
1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
1 (8-oz) pkg sliced mushrooms
2 tsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 ½ Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup skim or 1% milk
1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
¾ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp pepper
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans; cook 5 minutes. Drain; then plunge green beans into cold ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Heat oil in a cast-iron or ovenproof skillet. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Push mushroom mixture to side of skillet. Melt butter, and slowly stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Slowly add milk, continuously whisking until mixture starts to combine and thicken. Whisk in broth, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
4. Add drained green beans to skillet, stirring to coat green beans with sauce. Combine almonds and cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle over top of green beans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
NUTRITION FACTS (1/8 of casserole): Calories 140; Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2.5g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 280mg; Total Carbs 12g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Total Sugars 5g, Added Sugars 0g); Protein 6g.
CAROLYN WILLIAMS, PHD, RD