The secret to this crispy chicken is heating the oiled sheet pan in the hot oven before adding the breaded cutlets. The hot oil helps brown the underside of the chicken while the rest cooks through. Turn the broiler on for a quick minute at the end if you want a little more color or crispy edges. To add color and texture to the simply dressed greens, you can add toasted pecans, dried cranberries, thinly sliced red onion, or chopped apple.
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken cutlets
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour or cornstarch
¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
2 Tbsp. skim milk
⅓ cup whole-wheat or gluten-free panko
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. garlic powder, divided
4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. honey
1 (5-oz.) pkg. arugula
- Place chicken on a large cutting board or platter; sprinkle with flour and ¼ teaspoon salt, turning to coat both sides of chicken.
- Place a large rimmed baking sheet in oven. Heat oven, with pan inside, to 450 degrees.
- While pan heats, place egg and milk in a shallow bowl, lightly beating to combine. In a second shallow dish, combine panko, cheese, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, Italian seasoning, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Dip a floured chicken breast in egg mixture, turning to coat. Remove and place in panko mixture, lightly coating both sides of chicken. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken breasts, flour mixture, egg mixture, and panko.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to center of hot pan; return to oven for 3 minutes or until oil is hot and beginning to turn golden. Tilt pan so oil covers entire surface. Place prepared chicken on hot oil on pan. Bake 6 minutes. Turn chicken, and bake 6 to 8 minutes more or until chicken is done. You’ll know when the crust begins to lightly brown.
- Change oven to setting to broil. Cook chicken under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, and remaining ¼ tsp. garlic powder. Toss arugula with dressing in a large bowl. Evenly divide arugula mixture among 4 plates. Top greens with chicken.
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories 323; Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 3g); Cholesterol 124mg; Sodium 648mg; Total Carbs 14g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Total Sugars 4g, Added Sugars 3g); Protein 31g
CAROLYN WILLIAMS, PHD, RD