Model, mom, and cookbook author Chrissy Teigen built anticipation for this recipe by tweeting for help finding ripe bananas in LA. Teigen didn’t disappoint with her decadent cake-like banana bread recipe. Our high-fiber version uses white whole-wheat flour, a 100% whole wheat flour made from a lighter colored, mild flavored grain.
WHAT WE CHANGED
- Decreased sugar, oil, coconut, and chocolate chips
- Changed all-purpose flour to white whole-wheat flour
- Omitted vanilla pudding mix
- Added yogurt and vanilla extract
CALORIES, FAT, AND SUGAR SAVED
- 172 calories
- 21g added sugar
- 3g saturated fat
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
4 large eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
¾ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 ½ oz. mini dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold gently to combine. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Loosely cover the top with aluminum foil if it starts to brown too much.)
6. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Use a butter knife to gently release cake from sides of pan and around the inner circle. Then invert onto a plate. Let cool completely before slicing.
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories 328; total fat 12g (saturated fat 4g); cholesterol 63 mg; sodium 296 mg; total carbs 29g (dietary fiber 5g, total sugars 29g, added sugars 22g); protein 6g
CAROLYN WILLIAMS, PHD, RD